2011/10/04

The Truth about What Happened with Sahar Maher in front of the Military Courts Building (C28)

This is a translation. The Arabic original can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=392796&l=02f80e8860&id=103622369714881

Below is Sahar Maher's story, written in the first person. These events took place today:

I was filming using my phone camera at the demonstration that was in front of the Military Court. We were lifting banners of Maikel Nabil and calling for an end to military trials for civilians and the release of those taken in from the march that was at the Ministry of Defense. We were standing on the street in front of the courts, not inside the court’s premises. Suddenly, an army colonel came from inside and started shoving people aside and told them if you want to demonstrate do so without talking or yelling or banners. He threatened those arguing with him that they’d be beaten and taken in. All this time I was filming and then he suddenly attacked me, twisted my arm, and took my phone. Then he handed my over to Lieutenant Ahmed Zakaria and told him: Take her inside. I went in with him and then he took me upstairs to the office of the Chief Military Prosecutor. I waited for an hour and a half thinking that I’d take my phone, but then I was taken to the office of Captain Ahmed Shawky to be interrogated.
I went in and found that he already opened a case, charged me with two misdemeanors, and has prepared questions. He told me that Lieutenant Zakaria has prepared a memo saying that I was inciting the crowd and calling for an unauthorized demonstration and that I was filming “Secret” Military estate.
The two charges were as follows: Demonstrating in front of the Military Judiciary and filming Military estate and secrets. I was interrogated for about an hour, with him asking why I was demonstrating, my relationship with Maikel Nabil, why I was inciting the crowd and calling for violence among other things.

Then they left me outside the office for a couple more hours and after all that he handed me my National ID card telling me that the misdemeanors will be taken to court on Tuesday in front of a court marshal. And he made me sign a pledge to be present or else they’re sentencing me in absentia.

And when I got out I found out that the Egyptians film director and the foreign photographer have been released without being interrogated. They were told to come back tomorrow (Oct 5th) to get their stuff. I on the other hand was interrogated, will be tried and my phone was confiscated.

No comments:

Post a Comment